Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Serendipity

I am cleaning off my desktop -- not the horizontal desktop I have to dust but the vertical one where I store my digital photos until I blog about them -- I came across these pictures from last summer. OK, it's been a reaaallly long time since I cleaned off the desktop!!

My friend and fellow blogger Barb loaned this book to me and my granddaughters were delighted with it. The Boy Who Saved Cleveland, written by James Cross Giblin, is the story of Seth Doan a 10 yr old who rescues the 3 cabin settlement where he lives. This was the girls' first exposure to harsh life on the frontier and it really captured their imagination, especially because it is about our hometown. In the book, Seth saves his family and neighbors by lugging bags of corn to the mill to be ground and then returning 4 miles with the cornmeal. They lived mainly on cornbread at that time so Seth helped keep them alive by having food available.




Ding, ding ,ding! A light goes off in my head because I had just seen a post on The Pioneer Woman Cooks about cornbread in a skillet. Lily and Marina were enthusiastic about cooking cornbread like they did in the book. I downloaded the recipe and voila!

This happens so often in homeschooling that you start on one thing and another dovetails nicely. There is a word for that -- serendipity.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Scott said…

    Pioneer Woman??

    Copy-cat!

    Looks yummy!

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Hey...do you always use your cast iron on your electric cook top? Does it work well? I would imagine you have to be super careful. I bought a set of cast iron pans...then our stove died. We bought a cook top and they said not to use cast iron. Being the law abiding girl I am I have not done it. Did yours say anything like that? I don't want to use one and have the top crack, or something...but I so wish I could use it.

    Glad to be seeing more of lately.

    Laura

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    Thanks for mentioning the book. We just requested it from the library!

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    Laura - the picture is misleading. We actually baked it in the oven and when it was done, I set it on the stovetop. The instructions for the stovetop also caution against using cast iron on the top.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Barb,

    But at least I can use them in some way!

    Thanks for clarifying and saving my stove!

    Laura

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Boy, I keep thinking about that bread and me thinking somehow you made it on the stove...and that is a pretty silly thing to think about bread! All I can say is that I am a blonde...not in the true sense anymore, but when I was born and for many years it was how I lived my life. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home