Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Join Me!

This past Tuesday was the day we picked to pick! The blueberry patch was open for business last week in the 90 degree heat. Thankfully we couldn't arrange to get there so avoided the extreme heat. There were clouds on the day of picking so we got a little relief from the sun. My sister-in-law Crina joined us as she did last year. My other grandchildren are in Arizona so only Marina and Saranita were there to help. Naomi is a veteran blueberry picker and has been pregnant 2 of the 3 years she's joined us!!

The blueberries were gorgeous this year and we had an easy time of picking. I knew I could pick with my left hand and I was ever hopeful that my right shoulder would cooperate and participate! We lasted about an hour and 1/2 which I was pleased with. I have to say that I was exhausted later in the day. After sitting on my duff for 9 weeks, this was a big outing! We also had my friend Barb and her girls join us. Marina was glad to see friends from church joining us. The idea of blueberry picking originated with my other friend Jean who was there with her daughter Hannah. Jean invited us back to her house for lunch (and air conditioning). What a fun day.

Saranita provided much fun and as she tired -- vocal incentive to leave. Sometimes she used her little bucket to "pick two, eat two." Sometimes she used her bucket as a hat -- whether it had blueberries in it or not. She did NOT like the netting over the bushes so we moved to some rows with no netting. The Japanese beetles were in plentiful supply. We seem to have an abundant crop of the beetles everywhere I go. Saranita was also content to sit on her mom's lap when she tired and pick berries from the bottom of the bush. This is the 4th year that Marina has gone and she is getting really good at actually coming away with blueberries in her bucket. I can only imagine that Saranita is aspiring to follow in her cousins footsteps.


Marina came over yesterday and helped me bake blueberry bran muffins. I will freeze some of the berries for pies later on but I want to try blueberry cornmeal pancakes and also blueberry dumplings (a dessert). I'll let you know how they turn out. In the meantime, want to join me for a muffin and a cuppa?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    Yummy! Somehow we have to figure out a way for me to share my strawberry picking and you to share your blueberry picking (I've yet to find a patch around here).

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    mmmmmm I know how good those are. And as a bonus your home smells so nice when they are baking!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home