Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Banana Toast

Some would look at this banana and say "Yuck!"; I look at this banana and say "Yum!"

Banana toast was one of my favorite breakfasts growing up and I have to admit, it still is. I rarely eat plastic white bread, the term we use in this house for almost-nutritionless-white bread from the store. For banana toast though, nothing else says childhood memories like toasted plastic white bread. My mom always added salt to the banana once it was sliced lengthwise and lined up on the toast.

When I was watching my calories, I omitted the butter.
When I was watching my carbs, this whole idea was a no-no.
When I was eating in a healthy way, whole wheat was a must.
When I am feeling quirky, I add chunky peanut butter.
But right now, I am not watching anything and only feeling hungry so I think I will just eat my breakfast.

For my husband growing up as one of 7 siblings, fresh fruit was a luxury which did not stay around any length of time. Consequently he likes his bananas green at the top and his pears as hard as rocks. He thinks it's taste preference; I know it's habit from being one of the oldest siblings and grabbing the fruit whenever it appeared!!!

My brother Tom always had banana toast for breakfast on Sunday morning. As a pastor, his Sunday morning time was at a premium. This was a breakfast that was dependable, easy to fix for himself and did not take time away from his last minute sermon study. You may ask how I know this? Once when I was visiting Tom and family, I saw him squirrel away 2 perfectly ripened bananas. Into the cupboards they went on a Saturday afternoon not to see the light of day again until Sunday morning. Hmmmm. I wonder now if he was hiding them from me!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Elephantschild said…

    Oh, that looks gross! ;-)

    I was forced to eat whatever fruit was on the table at boarding school - sometimes it was rock hard bananas, sometimes citrus, sometimes bananas so ripe you could squeeze them like a tube of toothpaste. I used to pray for pineapple. It took me about 10 to even put a banana back in my mouth. I still can't eat really ripe ones!

    But, IF I liked really ripe bananas, that's WOULD BE a really good-for-me breakfast!

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Elephantschild said…

    Correction - it took me about 10 YEARS to eat bananas again.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    Eww Barb. With peanutbutter......maybe.

    Caleb is exactly like Pastor. Eats all the peaches and pears when they're hard as rocks, while I'm waiting for them to attain the perfect softness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home