Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Founding Father Quote

At St. Barbara's Academy this Spring, we are studying the founding of our country. The giggle girls are thrilled to be learning about the beginning of our nation. It has depressed me to see how far we have come from the original idea of limiting the central government.


Just take a look at this quote from John Adams -- our second President
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the governemnt of any other."

My, oh my! We have long ago abandoned this sentiment. I wonder if we can ever regain the attitude that WE THE PEOPLE are responsible individuals who live by the morals taught through countless generations. The first step in regaining the high ground would be to once again teach morality to the next generation. The adults in our society have abandoned this all important vocation from God.

I was astounded to hear a young woman on the radio the other day remark that she didn't want to abandon her "morals" and eat meat. Abstaining from eating meat is morality?????? I wanted to reach through the radio, grab her and ask what about abortion? what about loving your neighbor? what about remembering the Sabbath Day? what about loving God with your whole heart? Morality has become a question of what you eat, caring for sea lions, greening the environment (blech - I just verbed a noun), etc.

Without the moral law, in other words, the 10 commandments, what will check course outbursts of sin? Without a Christian upbringing, what will guide us in doing good to all men? I could continue my rant, but my students are calling me to my present vocation as head mistress of St. Barbara's Academy.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    >>"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." My, oh my! We have long ago abandoned this sentiment.

    Dare I suggest that we have not abandoned this sentiment at all? Since we're not a moral people, that would mean the Constitution is inadequate to governing us. We could postulate that that's why the Constitution is being jettisoned.

    (However, I think it's actually the reverse: ditching the Constitution has exacerbated the immorality, which gives the authorities more excuses for increased power grabs, which then makes the people more dependent and childish and immoral, and thus the cycle goes.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home