Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Dancin' with Dvorak

We were very excited to be going on a field trip on this lovely spring day! Here we are just before we are ready to leave to go hear the Cleveland Orchestra. My friend and her children accompanied me in my van. My other friend and her children followed in their van. After all, my grandma-mobile is not a 15 passenger van!!

The Cleveland Orchestra holds educational concerts throughout the school year. Our homeschool group has attended many of these concerts. This year we were treated to the orchestra playing several pieces from Dvorak while dancers performed in the front of the stage. What a delightful hour we had watching and listening. I don't have the name of the ethnic dance troupe which twirled and stomped their way through several songs but they were dressed in Czech costumes befitting the birthplace of Antonin Dvorak. The Bohemian folk tunes which influenced Dvorak were in evidence and I certainly wanted to get up and dance too! I did maintain my matronly stature and quitely tapped my feet!! The orchestra also played a "tone" by Dvorak which is a longer work. This was more sedate and was accompanied by the Cuyahoga Valley Youth Ballet. You can see the small stage in the front of the orchestra. It was quite a feat to fit 8 ballerinas leaping across that small stage.

As I said, the day was a lovely spring day -- the temperature reached into the 80's and the sun was brilliant. Gee, you don't think I've been missing the warm weather, do you?? It was very good that the weather cooperated since we had to park quite a distance away so I dropped my passengers off and then picked them up after the concert. I certainly got my workout that morning!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Scott said…

    GASP!! FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!!!! In Severance Hall!!

    I'm Shocked!


    (Glad a good time was had by all!)

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    I was reprimanded for taking the picture -- I actually wanted to take it without the flash but didn't change the setting correctly. Luckily, they didn't conviscate my camera.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    The ethnic group was the Csárdás Dance Company Youth Ensemble (first word pronounced char-dahsh, with the emphasis on the first syllable.) In my experience, the csárdás is a Hungarian dance; however Hungary and Bohemia (or the Czech Republic) are neighbors, and both were part of Austria back in the day.

    Glad to see you back online.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    Thank you for driving! We did have a great time. I can walk without pain meds today :-) -- it helped a lot that I put my pajamas on and laid on the couch all Sunday afternoon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home