Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Safety Forces Street Fair

We were heading for the range today when our son called to say that he was working at a Street Fair and did we want to stop by. We were happy to oblige; happy to see our son at work! Not only did we see him but also met some other friends. The first picture is an old family friend. Nicky is a lovely Greek woman who works many hours for the area's Police Community Relations group. You can see her hard at work. We also met friends, Dan and Barb who are auxiliary police officers. Passing out balloons and information on a summer program at the nearby church were our friend Diane and her son Kyle.



THE TRADITION CONTINUES

What is a street fair without a clown? Nothing! I was not surprised to see one of the officers dressed up as a clown so I left to go get my grandchildren. I was struck with the thought I have now become my father. When we were young, my dad would take the four of us (without seatbelts) in the back of the car for a ride. We never knew where we were going but we did know it would be good -- maybe a 45 mile drive (before freeways) to get an ice cream cone -- maybe a visit to a Maple Festival. After I had children, my dad would call and arrange a meeting which now included the children. Things had changed though because now I knew the destination...even if my children didn't. My dad has been dead for over 10 years and now my children are grown with children of their own, but, the tradition continues.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Rick said…

    We'll do the same thing with our kids - tell them we have an errand to run, and have everyone hop into the car. By now, the Artist has some sense that we've "planned" a surprise. The Engineer has no idea yet, but will probably catch onto the pattern soon.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    You never told us about the little "gift" they got from the clown, though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home