Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Iron It Out


Does anybody iron anymore? Someone must iron because I recently purchased the 3rd iron of my married life and the choices were daunting. They have so many makes and models... someone must be doing it!

Yesterday as I was ironing my dear husband's shirts, I also mused about how long I've been ironing. I am estimating the years at somewhere close to 5 decades! I was the youngest of 4 and the only girl. It was my job to iron shirts for Sundays for my dad and brothers. White shirts for Sundays weren't the only shirts to iron because we are talking pre-permanent press. I ironed some pretty nifty plaid shirts back then : )

Of course, I didn't begin on shirts. I cut my "iron" teeth on handkerchiefs. This was the pre-Kleenix age. There was always a stack of kerchiefs on the end of the ironing board! I always felt a sense of accomplishment taking a basket of ironing and turning it into crisp looking shirts hanging on their hangers and a towering stack of handkerchiefs. It was a challenge to neatly iron the scrolled G on my dad's hankie. G for Gary/Gus/Gerhardt.

In addition to being before permanent press and before disposable tissue, my initial ironing days were before steam puffing it's way through the iron. There were steam irons in existence but we didn't own one. First I had to dampen the clothes. At the end of the ironing board sat a 16 oz glass Pepsi bottle with a sprinkle cap on it. The tricky part was ironing without causing the bottle to tip over : )

My ironing yesterday also included dinner napkins so, of course, my musings led me to ask, "Does anyone use napkins anymore?"

5 Comments:

  • At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sometime's when I'm lazy I put shirt's that have to be ironed in the dryer,I know that doesn't do a very good job, but hey, thier not that wrinkley. :-)

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    I still iron some, but that's the price I pay for preferring cotton to polyester. However, the big choice of irons may partially come from the fact that when you sew clothes, you need an iron to press your seams. There are lots of irons marketed to sewers.

    I remember my mom sprinkling clothes, and I had a toy ironing board and iron and would pretend to sprinkle too. I'm going to be making some cloth napkins, out of the remnants of the tablecloth I'm making!

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Hausfrau said…

    Funny you bring this up because just a couple nights ago I pulled out my iron for the first time in ... years. Worked on the confirmands robes and an altar cloth I had laundered. I enjoy ironing, I'm just absolutely terrible at it. A shirt with sleeves, collar, buttons ... gasp. I spend more time fighting with it all, then getting it pressed. Mom never ironed. Maybe it's time I really work on learning it.

    As far as cloth napkins and handkerchierfs ... we use them both. I abhor kleenex. Love my hankies.

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    I love to iron for some reason -- maybe because it makes order out of chaos and things that are ironed tend to stay that way for a while - unlike clearing the kitchen counter. I will think of you ironing when I"m ironing.

    Will someone please post a photo of N.'s pregnant belly? The suspense is killing me.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger Aaron.D.Nemoyer said…

    heh.. I often iron my own things. I think it's part of my mom's "preparing Aaron for college and life on his own" plan. ...not that I'm complaining of course. I wouldn't dare do that on a blog my mom might be reading. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home