Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Church Signs -- arrrgggh!!!

There are 2 churches which I pass regularly on my way home from almost anywhere and they drive me nuts.

The one sign currently reads Get Right or Get Left. Being a Lutheran, I well understand that the Holy Ghost calls people by the Gospel but this sign is all LAW, LAW, LAW. First it is a command to Get Right. Sounds great, doesn't it? I'm certain that any nonbeliever passing by, upon reading the command "get right", will immediately turn his life around through sheer effort of his own. They most probably will do this repenting because of the fear they have that they will Get Left. This church is attempting to use the law to convert sinners and that just isn't going to happen. I scream at this sign regularly : (

The other sign is so annoying also. It currently reads, If God is your co-pilot, switch seats. I assume they are talking to Christians because a non-Christian wouldn't even have God as his co-pilot, let alone his pilot. So to the Christians that are passing by, their message is just be a helper to God...let Him do the driving/flying and you be His assistant. Sounds like synergism to me. I also scream at this sign although now that my windows are open, I have to be careful that someone doesn't report me for disturbing the peace. I personally think this church should be prosecuted for disturbing the peace : )

If these are the messages on the outside (remember LAW, LAW, LAW) what is the message on the inside. There must be a multitude dying to hear the sweet message of the Gospel. Kyrie Eleison.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    It's funny; I just drove past that first sign today running errands before Latin and I was thinking how much you and your darling husband must love it. :) I am so happy to be at a church where I do not feel guilty because I am not part of this ministry or not part of that "small Bible study" or not trying hard enough to be a "good witness."

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger ghp said…

    You know, I think what the sign folks at those "churches" need is a visit from the Rogue Hugger! LOL! See, 'cause then he (Pr. Zorba) could report each hug as an Ablaze! event, moving that ticker along as he also gets some nice brownie points with the OH District honchos!

    Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

    -ghp
    (who's now hoping that the FBI doesn't show up, for having even suggested such a thing! ;^) )

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger ghp said…

    I give up! I think I got visited by the ghost of J. Edgar, and it was certainly enough to scare me straight (you can decide if that pun was intended or not... heheheheh!).

    You win, Pr. Birthday Boy (+1 day...), you win...

    ;^)

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    once i actually saw a sign that i liked. it said "sign out of order, come inside for message".
    cheryl

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Aaron.D.Nemoyer said…

    Mrs. K: I go past a Methodist church and a "Family Worship Center" (whatever that means...) every day on my way to school and they have similarly bad signs.

    Evil Genius: dixistine Latina? optima lingua Latina est. plus quam tribus annis Latinam studebam.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    Aaron: Um, my daughter is studying Latin. And my husband studied it in high school, seeing as it was a good Catholic high school. Me, I know German and Spanish.

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger Aaron.D.Nemoyer said…

    Alas! ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home