Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Back in the saddle again

OK, I'm back after 2 trips and a dead motherboard : (

June 13th I left for the Concordia Catechetical Symposium in Sussex WI. The trip was wonderful...drove through Chicago with the air conditioning on and singing along with Garth Brooks at the top of my lungs. Anyone who sits next to me in church knows that singing at top voice comes easily : ) I noticed my dear granddaughter singing in church at full voice...perhaps it's genetic or it could be she learned it from singing next to me. Anyway, the trip to Sussex was wonderful even though it involved driving on the Dan Ryan expressway. There is even a website to help you through Chicago -- perfect if you happen to be traveling with a computer : )

I got to see friends that I only get to see at this Symposium. I also knitted 3 washcloths while I was there. I am so thankful that I learned how to do that before I went on this trip. I took no pictures and took no notes but I did order the audio recording of the presentation so if anyone wants to borrow them....get in line! All 6 presenters were Lutheran church growth enthusiasts; between the 6 men there were 36 children (32 of whom were male offspring). Now that's church growth!!

I arrived back in Cleveland on Saturday the 17th and greeted my dh with a van which was covered in bugs, out of gas and desperately needed an oil change. He did that running around while I washed clothes. I intended on posting to this blog then but my motherboard died and there was no posting/reading/responding going on for Presbytera : (

I'll tell you about the next trip I took in the next post....I do have to accomplish some things today!

7 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    All the traveling sounds fun. You can show pictires of the knitting when you get a chance, (a little begging)!

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    Glad to see you back, at least for a while! Sounds like your husband does his vocation well too! How were those church growth enthusiasts? Seems to be short-hand for wanting contemporary worship, watered-down theology, being "seeker-friendly." But perhaps I am reading too much into this?

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    They were church growth enthusiasts because they grow the church the old fashioned way -- by having babies and baptizing them : ) Not a one of these guys would have anything to do with contemporary worship...although they will probably use the Lutheran Service Book & Hymnal -- since that will be published this year, I guess you could call it contemporary : )

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Rick said…

    I'm glad to know your dh has a car maintenance ministry.

    Go ye, therefore, and maintain all autos....

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...washing them in the suds of detergent, and sponges, and wax.
    Repairing them to operate all places wherever she commanded you: and, lo, she travels with you always,even unto the end of the highway. Amen.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To be accurate, dh took the van for an oil change and tire rotation...and gave pastoral counsel to the shop-owner and one of his employees, 'over by the grease-rack' as it were.

    What happened? The 14 year old son of the shop-owner's dear friend (and customer)was struck by a car the night before, and died shortly thereafter.

    All the place was hang-dog for all knew both the boy and his dad. The people kept asking me in a disbelieving, vacant voice: why did this happen, as they vacuously went about their work.

    In a gentle voice I answered them: because "the wages of sin is death." I let that hang for a moment. Seeing in their silence, and that the Word of God had had it's intended effect, and that they recognized the truth in that statement, I added: "but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

    I informed them that all men die because of sin. Some young, some old, some gently, some violently, but all die.

    And then I expounded on baptism joining us to Christ's death, burial and resurrection (these people are almost all RC), and the everlasting life he gives us by faith. A life impervious to death, parting or sorrow. I urged them to put their trust in Him especially at a time like this.

    The owner was so grateful for this un-expected pastoral care that he gave me a discount on my oil change and tire rotation.

    I understood it was his way of saying 'thank you' so I gladly accepted it without argument.

    I also went back few days later, after the funeral, and talked with the owner again. And again he was grateful.

    I guess you got a little field report in this comment.

    My dw calls me: chaplain to the world. I think it was John Wesley who said: the world is my pulpit.

    After this little mission was accomplished (but not listed on the Ablaze Tote Board, so don't even look) I headed for the car wash for an inside and outside wash. Nothing but the best for my babe.

    Being chaplain to the world had a second unexpected benefit. When I pulled out my wallet and the cashier saw the badge, she gave me the 10% police discount.

    But none of this means anything of course in comparison to Christ, who became poor for our sakes, that we might become rich in Him.

    Lastly I went to the gas station where I filled up. Uneventfully. No pastoral counsel given. No discount received. Just business.

    DW needed a clean car, gassed up and ready for her next trip.

    I was glad to oblige. No job too small, that's my motto.

    Oh, and I did get my clothes washed by the good Presbytera. Even the high and lofty offices have their drudgery.

    Next day, Father's Day (a bad one for that poor dad mentioned above)the Presb. took me out to lunch, scooped up dil #2, and promptly left for parts unknown to the East.

    Only to return again. Only to leave again this coming Saturday for Minnesota.

    And that's all I have to say about that.

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    Chaplain to the world and Mom to the world. What a combo! Well, Herr Chaplain, we will have the grill fired up next week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home