Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Friday, May 25, 2007

My great grandparents

I have been doing some scanning of pictures for our family at ancestor.com. My husband's brother signed us up and asked us to fill in the information. I took the opportunity to also add info for my family. This is my mother's paternal grandfather. I never met him but I took this picture from his alien registration. His name on his naturalization papers is listed as Wilhelm Johan Niemann. That paper was prepared on Feb 25th 1919 although he had been in this country since Dec of 1882. I'm certain it was done because he came here from Hamburg Germany and it was WW I era. He also has an alien registration card for WW II but by that time his name was listed as William John Niemann. He was born in Bruda Germany in 1856 which means he was 26 when he emigrated to America. In 1919, he listed his occupation as night watchman. The residence he listed in Cleveland is the house that I came home to as an infant, 31 years later. Houses tended to stay in families longer then!

He brought his wife with him. This is the picture from her WW II registration card. She was 78 years old when this picture was taken. Her name is Augusta Frederika Niemann. Wouldn't feminists have a fit over that name!! She was born in 1864 in or near Mecklenburg Strelitz Germany. They traveled here on the ship Victoria.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home