Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Soup Kind of Day

The cold weather seems to be warming slightly here although we started the day in single digits and only made it into the teens. Brilliant blue sky and the winter sun bouncing off the snow cover made for a cheery day for me : ) It was a hot soup kind of day.

I chopped and chopped and chopped....carrots, onion, garlic, celery, stewed tomatoes and a head of cabbage. I added a can of kidney beans and found some leftover cooked brats in the freezer. I spiced it up with red pepper flakes. Lots of red pepper flakes. Maybe too many red pepper flakes!! It was delicious! My dear husband agreed that a crusty loaf of bread was in order with this soup so off I went to Panera's to purchase some. I had no time left in the day to bake.

A nice ride in the warm car, fresh bread sitting beside me and a pot of soup simmering at home....the only thing which made it better was knowing my honey was there to share it with!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Oh, Barb, I can just taste it... Yummmm!

    My mom made me soup like that when I was sick last winter and I swear that's what made me better.

    I attempted chicken noodle soup today. Alas, the light fixture fell from above the stove and broke into a million tiny, grease-covered specks right in my pan of fresh chicken stock. I thought about straining them out, but the grease on the larger pieces made me think that wouldn't be a good idea.

    Besides, we didn't have a nice loaf of crusty bread from Panera. ;)

    Thanks for tomorrow's lunch plan!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    Yum, fresh crusty bread! I'd prefer it with a big bowl of beef stew, though. And my honey!

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    Sounds great! From the look of things your leftovers were welcome for the cold days that followed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home