Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It's As Easy As 1-2-3

Baby Saranita needed a winter hat that would fit. The one that she has is very big on her and will work wonderfully for next year. Knitting Grandma to the rescue : ) I thought it would be great fun and I had the perfect purple varigated yarn to use. I used this pattern that uses 2 needles and is knit flat.




Knitting it flat was the easy step 1 and the next step was to sew the seam so that you actually have a round cap. The little loop at the top is something new I learned for this hat. It's called an I-cord and is made on double pointed needles. I didn't have double pointed but I discovered that my stitch holders come apart and I used them as double pointed needles. Whew! I was very excited about this hat for Saranita and proudly took it to church the next day so she could have a hat that fit.




Here is number three with Saranita wearing the purple hat I made for her and it is TOO BIG!!! Oh well, I guess it isn't as easy as 1-2-3. Back to the drawing board.


I went back to the pattern and decided that I had to reduce it by 1/3 in order for it to fit. Reducing a pattern was another thing I learned on this project. I also discovered that when I knit the first hat, I grabbed the wrong needles and used a size 6 instead of a size 4. I am a wiser knitter and a more careful knitter now!



Here is the final pink hat which fits exactly and doesn't she look cute as a button with Grandpa? Now she will have two BIG hats for next year : )

3 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    I like the Chaplain's hat. :)

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    She and Grandpa look so cute together. I love all those hats.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    All's well that ends well, in knitting anyway!

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets all excited about learning a new technique -- congratulations!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home