Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Sausage Stromboli

Ages ago, all right it was actually 20 years ago so I guess I should have begun, decades ago....we had stromboli quite regularly. Our son Theo's Nuno (the Greek term for Godfather) would work a swing shift and often came home at 11:30 p.m. hungry as could be. We and his wife were waiting for him on Friday nights and would share some of the stromboli which was ordered from the corner pizza joint. That pizza place just happened to be named Athens -- not a very Italian name, eh? We enjoyed those strombolis very much. On occasion, since then, I have ordered them at a pizzeria. Now they have gotten all healthy with chicken stromboli or even all vegetable stromboli. Back then, decades ago, it was sausage, ham, salami, banana peppers and double cheese. Yum!! This week I decided to make my own stromboli and pictured is the result of my effort.

The dough was made with half whole wheat flour and half white flour. I cooked the sausage with a chopped onion, green pepper, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. After the dough raised and was punched down, I spread it on a large baking sheet and put the sausage mixture down the center. That was covered with sour cream which was mixed with a little bit of chive and onion cream cheese, then cheddar cheese and finally mozzarella cheese. The dough was folded up and over the sausage and pinched closed. I topped it with egg white and fennel seeds. WOW! It almost took me back to Athens : )

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home