Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Thankful For My Parents

56 years ago today, my parents brought me to the font to be baptized. They brought me to The Lutheran Church of the Covenant, an LCMS church then which is ELCA now. My Godparents were my Aunt and Uncle who were Baptists. But the faith God implanted into me on January 21, 1951 has grown through the years.










God has sent men to bring me the Word. The faith which He gave me has been watered by faithful Pastors. I could give you the names of these faithful men but they would simply point to Jesus as the one who did the watering. They taught me that it is GOD who gives the increase. They provided teachers in Sunday School, explained things to me in confirmation, forgave my sins in the stead and by the command of the Lord Jesus Christ. They spoke words of Law and words of forgiveness to me. They answered questions I asked in the many bible classes I have attended. They spoke the familar words of the Liturgy to me and placed the Word in my mouth.

Some of these pastors are with the company of heaven now. My Mom and Dad no longer walk this earth either. I have a few physical rememberances of them. What I do have from all of them though is something eternal -- a lasting faith in the Triune God. This morning I looked at the font in our church, sang the liturgy with angels and archangels and with all the company of heaven and am so grateful that long ago, my parents brought me to receive the best gift of all.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    Happy Birthday! I hope you do not need to drive in any snow today :-)

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    and if they hadn't baptized you, it would have changed the course of history and we probably wouldn't have met. Horrors!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home