Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I've Driven In Snow Before


I was on my way to Ft. Wayne for a Consensus meeting today. It was snowing quite a bit as I was getting ready but hey! I've driven in snow before so I continued with my preparations. My friend Rosemary who was here asked if I was still going to drive in that snowy mess. Sure, I replied. I've driven in snow before. My husband even counselled me that someone else could take notes at the meeting (I am secretary for Consensus) and was I certain I wanted to drive in the snow. I replied I was sure I wanted to go and that it might be stressful but I've driven in snow before....

Off I went waving goodbye through the falling snowflakes. I stopped at the gas station and then got on the interstate. I noticed as I was getting on that a whole line of cars were getting off the interstate as I was getting on but you know what I'm going to say....I've driven in snow before!

Once when we were living in St. Louis while my husband attended Concordia Seminary,we traveled to Jackson TN to visit my brother and family for Easter weekend. There was a winter storm in St Louis and we counted over 80 vehicles on the right and left of us as we took the interstate to Jackson. Ice, snow and bitter winds soon became warmth and there were daffodils blooming when we arrived safely in TN. I was 25 and carefree.

Another time we traveled north from St. Louis and hit an ice storm on our way to Peewaukee WI to visit our former Pastor. I had to constantly reach out and whack the wipers to get the accumulated ice off so we could drive. I was much younger than now...probably 24. So you know I'm speaking the truth when I say, I've driven in snow before.

Back to now. Back to today. After noticing the spinouts, the cars on the side of the road and facing the whiteouts swirling around, I did a very OLD thing today. I got off the freeway and called to let them know I wasn't coming to Ft. Wayne. I just couldn't drive in those conditions. I am old. I am officially a wimp.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    I've driven in snow before too. When my husband and I were newlyweds (aka young), my DH drove us home from Wooster to Painesville in snow that was up to the windows of our car. Granted, we were in a Geo Metro. Still, we had to use the mailboxes and telephone poles along the side of the road to ascertain where the road actually was.

    We did get off of I-71 once on the way to Columbus, and spend the night in a motel. I was driving, and whiteout conditions were so bad, it was a constant fight to figure out where the road was. Add the large semis roaring along, and I was getting pretty scared.

    Glad to you know you are safe and sound at home.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    I'm glad you're safe and sound at home. Poor Jane is having a lot of us bail out on her this week, isn't she?

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger RPW said…

    Wow...and I was just about ready to post about what a beautiful day it was here! But it never fails, especially with the wierd weather this year. It seems like when 1-3 inches are forecast for Fort Wayne, it will be the sunniest day in weeks!

    I'm really glad you're safe, though. Maybe it doesn't mean you're old. Maybe it means you just have more common sense! ;)

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Scott said…

    Wimp? With age comes wisdom. Chalk it up in that column.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    A let down, I'm sure, and yet it's a good feeling to walk back in the clean house with nothing burning to do except make another pot of coffee.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger bob said…

    Oh, I don't know. Wimp or maybe just wiser?

    Nothing bold about spittin' in the wind.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not old, girl, just wiser! Glad that you didn't press onwards and made it back home safely!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home