Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Knee Replacement Checkup

Today was my 3 yr post surgery checkup for my knee replacements and I passed with flying colors : ) Of course, my active lifestyle is more a confirmation that everything is going well than my doctor saying so! I do like going to see Dr Gittinger because I am a source of inspiration for him. A year after my surgery I sent a picture to him which showed me hiking the Appalatian Trail holding a sign which said "Thanks Dr. Gittinger". He said that he still has it up in his office and when he is discouraged he looks at it and it perks him up! I showed him the degree of bend which I have in both my knees and he was incredulous. He said those knee replacements aren't supposed to do that : ) They have newer high-flex knee replacements which are supposed to do that, but not mine. Oh well, no one told my knees they aren't supposed to bend that much!

This is the card they gave me after my surgery to use when I go through metal detectors. I used it the first time I flew but they don't care if you have a card or not. If you beep, you get the personal attention of the TSA and the wand.

My next appointment is in 2 years. They take x-rays to determine that the dark space between the bones is still there (see the sample x-ray above). That space is the plastic cushion which replaced the cartilage. As long as that remains, my knees are good to go. I asked him what it will be like when they do replace them and he said the surgery is relatively easy; they make the same size incision, slip out the old disc and slip in the new one. The recovery, although not as long as the original surgery, will still take time and effort. They are constantly improving the plastic so who knows how long mine will last....as God wills. Dr Gittinger also said that they are doing more knee replacements in younger people because of the pain relief. Ya gotta like a Doc who calls someone who is almost 56 years old, young!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger chaplain7904 said…

    The Presbyter is grateful for this procedure. Had it not been for this, the Presbytera would probably be in a wheel chair by now. When we were uncertain of the future, before the Presbyter's surgery, the Presbyter regretted that he hadn't taken more walks with her. Now he takes every opportunity, and appreciates this new lease on life.

    Oddly enough, today I went to my FBI office and found a letter on my desk. The Preybytera's roomate from the hospital (3yrs ago) had sent a letter to us at that address. We enjoyed knowing her, and went out to lunch with her once about a month after the surgery. So it's good to be back in touch.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Rick said…

    God bless the people who work diligently in their vocations. Happy "anniversary", Barb.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home