Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Overheard at SBA


While eating lunch, the girls were watching squirrels gathering acorns and Marina remarked that the squirrels would hibernate for the winter like bears do. I reminded her that we see squirrels come near the patio and eat ears of corn during the winter do they do not hibernate. They continued with their conversation and then I heard "Do snakes hibernate?" "I don't know, let's ask Grandma." "No, snakes are a Grandpa question; we'll have to ask him." At the next opportunity, I let my dh know that he had a question coming his way and he just as quickly googled to find out the answer. He also informed them that Big Boy, our 20 " koi, also hibernates at the bottom of the pond.
I love homeschooling. This year I decided to concentrate on one classical composer a month by reading books about them and listening to some of their most enduring music. This month is J. S. Bach. The girls were amused that this man shared his middle name with a Disney character! They particularly like the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and asked yesterday, "Grandma, can we turn Bach on and dance?" That's just what they are doing here.

I am also trying to get twice as much done musically this year by having one of them practice the piano while I work with the other on the Recorder. They love both of these instruments and were quite excited to be able to do both. Wednesday is also art day and they began learning cross stitch. At the rate they are going though, it may take all year just to complete the first project! Just kidding, I realize they will get faster as they practice.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    I don't knowo how you do it all.

    Your violet walls look amazing!

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Barb!
    I can just see you with those girls. What a great job you do. I remember asking Nick if he missed the friends in a school. He said no. You are surely a blessing to your family. The visible joy of those little girls must surely be a blessing to you as well!
    Blesssings and love.
    Doris

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Enjoying your blog. The girls have really grown - but I guess it's been over a year since we've seen them.
    Don't know when we'll get your way again - dh is sick of going around Chicago - joining your dh in hatred of the trip (smile).
    Getting anxious to hs our next dgd but it's almost 2 years away.
    Suzanne

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Rick said…

    I can't say I am surprised that the kids like Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Haven't they heard their father play it a few times??? :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home