Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Memories of My Mom and Dad

I am very practical. I give practical gifts. I look for ways to use things so that they are just not put away never to be used. I have placemats and napkins which I use everyday -- not just for when company comes. I burn my smelly candles just for us at home. Here is my dilemma. These cute little guys were my mom's knicknacks. They serve no practical purpose. They aren't purple or cats (both of which I have a collection). I hate to let them go because they tug at my heartstrings with memories. What should I do with them? I am above all practical. Maybe bring them out on October 26th, my mom's birthday and on August 2nd, my dad's birthday?

My Mom and Dad had a salt and pepper shaker collection, hundreds of them which they displayed on shelves in a bookcase in the dining room. When my mother died, they got packed up and my brother stored them for 25 years. About 15 years ago I divided them among the grandchildren (of my Mom and Dad) and put them in boxes. Some would be very valuable on EBay right now. That's why I haven't given them out just yet. I figure I'll wait until the grandkids are old enough to appreciate something from their grandparents. These bears are a set that I kept for myself. The little one is pepper and the big bear is salt. Being practical, I will use them as salt and pepper shakers but what to do about the other ones.....

2 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger chaplain7904 said…

    The Mobambo Guru says: keep them for the memories. Keep them on the Mogambo Dining Room Table (MDRT). They're pleasant to look at and mine the mind for good memories, that is their vocation.

    Signed,
    TMG

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    If you know some one who would appreciate them for what they are, and you can emotionally part with them, why not do so?

    Are there any heirlooms to pass along to grandchildren?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home