Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, August 21, 2006

First Birthdays

Recently I had the privilege of attending 2 First birthdays in one weekend. What a treat!! To be able to share in the joy of the parents in reaching this milestone is something I am so happy to do. It's also a lot of fun to see the wee ones squishing, smashing and eating their cakes. Maime did a fair job of attacking her cake....once she got a taste of it. Of course, she demolished it daintily.





Joshua had no such daintiness in mind on his first birthday. He has potential as a demolition expert, I think!







Here is a picture of my youngest son Nick on his first birthday. Notice how he is reaching for the candle? For many. many years he wanted to be a firefighter. Maybe this experience imprinted the excitement of being near flames for him.



This is my oldest son Theo on his first birthday. Do you notice something missing in the pictures of my 2 boys? If you guessed the mess, you are right. I was a lazy mother and had no desire to clean up a mess so for Theo's I sprinkled the top with powder sugar and let him eat plain cake. He is now in therapy for being deprived of a frosting frenzy on his first birthday. Also notice that I loosened up for Nick's birthday 6 years later; there is frosting but I didn't allow him to touch it.

No cake in this photo -- just a cute picture of my dear husband on his first birthday. He and I have celebrated many birthdays together...but not this one : ) Although we lived within walking distance of each other, we did not meet until after his 19th birthday had been celebrated.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    My daughters got cake to mess up, but just a small piece. I'm in therapy for the clothes I had to wear in the 70's, which I see your oldest son did not completely avoid. I also see there is no first birthday photo of you. But I see your husband, as my youngest daughter put it, grew up when the world was still black and white. :)

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    No photo of me. My mother died when I was 15 and my aunts packed up the house. Don't know what happened to the photos. But I do know I had a first birthday, it was black and white and I lived to celebrate 54 more (so far).

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger KrazyinBrooklyn said…

    I gave by little ones cupcakes for their first birthday partys, less mess and not much to clean up.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    Join the club. I too, am a lazy mom who likes to avoid messes. I confess that my kids have never fingerpainted.

    My babyhood was black and white too, but started to switch to color when I was about three!

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    How did I end up with the kid who hates to touch his food?!!! He learned to use his silverware very early!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home