Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blueberry Picking with Grandma

Marina has patiently waited an entire year to go blueberry picking again. This is the 3rd year we have gone with my friend Jean and her children. This year it was hot, hot, hot but the blueberry crop was plentiful!! Here are the mighty workers. Naomi is another blueberry lover and is the most diligent picker! It is Theodore's first blueberry picking trip. Last fall he went apple picking with us so all the way to the berry farm he told me how excited he was to go pick apples again.
Here is the objective. Isn't it a lovely blueberry bush? The owner of the farm does not spray the bushes so we are free to eat as many as we want as we are picking. I think I ate more than I picked.

So that the birds do not eat all these luscious berries, there is a net over all the bushes. We lift the net to get close to the berries.

Two of the mighty workers are tuckered out and the buckets are hardly full. They enjoy taking a break which quickly turns into "we're done". They continue to insist they love picking blueberries. Soon we have picked all that we want and have a lovely lunch at my friends home. We then head home and begin our berry baking : )


My helpers contributed to making the muffins. Theodore by asking "Why are you doing that Grandma?" and Marina by practicing cracking eggs into a bowl. They both are very good at adding the flour mixture and topping the muffins with cinnamon sugar.



Our end product....soon to be distributed to my mother in law, Marina's great grandmother and Theodore's family. My dear husband and I are eating low carb meals so the muffins (and their wonderful smell) will soon leave our kitchen. We will stay with straight blueberries. With the smell still lingering in the house, my salivary glands are dripping....almost as much as these muffins!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    Good thing those muffins are all gone by now, or we'd be coming over for a visit! :)

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger KrazyinBrooklyn said…

    And let me tell you they were sooooooo good. I love blue berries. Thank you so much for taking the kids they always have fun.

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    A Field trip and a home ec lesson wrapped up in one yummy package!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home