Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, August 06, 2007

Americana



Dictionary.com defines Americana as : Materials relating to American history, folklore, or geography or considered to be typical of American culture: These 2 pictures are americana to me. The first looks like it could be anyone's grandma icing a cookie. It was taken at our local Eat 'n Park. You can stand in the lobby and through a glass window watch the smiley cookies being frosted. The woman is intent on her vocation and will bring joy to countless children with her decorated cookies! The American flag adds a certain nostalgia for me.








This second picture is more personal since it has my dear husband and 2 of my grandchildren. Lily and Marina had never been to a neighborhood diner where they could eat at the counter. Needless to say, they were thrilled to eat right at the counter. You can even see the grill and the cook in the background. They spent some time twirling on and enjoying the counter seats. It brought to mind a time when I was younger. Lunch counters were the only places we ever went OUT to eat. We would walk to the corner of the nearest major intersection, Clark and W.25th and then had the choice of Marshall's Drug Store or Honecker's Drug Store. Each had a counter and each provided delicious sodas and ice cream concoctions. This was the neighborhood everything-but-groceries store. We took our vaccum tubes from our TV's to be tested there and to get new vacuum tubes. You could buy smelly perms in a box there and penny candy.



The only time I ate an entire meal at the counter was when my Mom worked parttime at the Woolworth Dime Store. At my lunch hour from elementary school (yes it was an entire hour because kids walked home and they didn't need the extra time for dental hygiene and sex education) , I walked 2 blocks and sat at the counter and had a cheeseburger and a coke. What a treat! I was 15 before I ever ate at a McDonalds.



I also remember eating at a lunch counter in 1965 with my oldest brother Gary. After my mom was in a car accident, I lived with Gary for several months. I'm guessing he was mid 20's at the time. My favorite dessert at the time was a Boston Cream Pie. Gary took me to have dinner at CJ's Sandwich shop and there, displayed in a glass case right before my eyes and salivating mouth, was a piece of Boston Cream Pie. What a kind brother to give me such a treat after our supper.

Our granddaughters enjoyed the lunch counter and my husband and I enjoyed the walk down memory lane that their excitement generated for us.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Pia C. said…

    I'm so excited - the diner where your husband and granddaughters are is Dee's on Pearl Road in Old Brooklyn. I eat there often and can recommend Dee's hotcakes. I tell her nobody else's hotcakes taste like hers do and often wonder what secret ingredient she puts in them that they taste so good. But anything else she cooks is also equally good, but it's her hotcakes I really love.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home