Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

God Gave Us Pastors

This past Sunday, I attended the ordination and installation of Peeter Pirn at Unity Lutheran Church. It was a hot, sticky afternoon in a church with no air conditioning. In addition to the bulletins, the ushers were handing out bottles of water in the narthex.

The preacher was Rev. Charles Froh from San Mateo California so I knew that I would get fed from the sermon and I did! He minded us that God would use Pastor Pirn to bring us Jesus. He referred to the beautiful stained glass windows in the sanctuary which visually bring us the Christ. The attendance was terrific and we had the opportunity to see many retired area pastors and their wives.

I rarely have the chance (not that I am looking for it) to worship in other Cleveland churches. When I am not traveling, I like to worship at my home congregation Christ Lutheran Church. When I am traveling, I choose confessional churches which rely on the Liturgy to convey the truth of God's love to me.

I was pleasantly surprised that the service utilized the liturgy. I have been to this church in the past and I know that the Deliberate Interim Pastor likes to tweak the litury. He has deliberately instituted changes in several churches where he has been the interim. The one that is the most abhorrent to me is that after the Pastoral Absolution (we receive absolution, that is, forgiveness, from the pastor as from God Himself, not doubting, but firmly believing that by it our sins are forgiven before God in heaven.)this deliberate interim Pastor then confesses his sins to the congregation and then has the congregation absolve him of his sins. This is such a twisted tweaking of the Pastoral Office! When I hear the Absolution, those words come from Christ Himself -- using the lips of the Pastor. Hopefully, the new Pastor will turn this practice back to its Lutheran form.

The title of the post is the title of the ditty that this Deliberate Interim Pastor wrote. I think it arrogant that he would insert his own song into the installation/ordintation service since the hymnal is replete with hymns which have withstood the test of time. I did get there early enough to read the words to this ditty before the service began so I knew I could not put his words on my lips. I used the time to study the architecture and windows. When I read the words, I was reminded of St Paul writing in 1 Corinthians "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."

1. "God calls His people, Yes! Our God calls us all; That we fulfill His task, that's all He'll ask Of those who come to Him, With their hopes, gifts and faith; His Mission here to do, For me and you!

2. Here we need God to give Us hope, help and peace, As we, live in a world That's cold and sad, Since Satan's promises Of deception and lies, We need someone to lead beyond the skies.

3. People, like sheep are lost With eyes blinded shut; Waiting for help and hope from Him Whose Name Says all we need to know, For direction through life; Giv'n us from Pastors here, Who're free from strife!

4. That's why God gave to us, His Pastors to lead Those who on Him rely, To pray and plead to Him for guidance here, In a world filled with greed. Bless all Your Pastors Lord, That us they'll feed!

5. In Scripture we are told From whom we must learn All precepts from above, And for them yearn; When urged by Prophets, false, To go on our own way. Listen instead, to You....From Pastors, true.

6. Since life on earth is filled With power, lust and ill; You gave us Pastors, Lord, Who live Your will....To garner guidance still, That Your love we fulfill. Bless all the Pastors....Yes! and shout: Amen! "

It is unbelievable to me that an LCMS Pastor of over 50 years experience could write this song. Although it names Satan, it does not name Christ. Although it is a song about pastors, it nowhere mentions preaching, Baptism, Absolution, or Holy Communion. Although it speaks about God calling us, it makes no distinction between the Call to the Public Ministry and the vocation God gives to all of us. Although the songs purports to bring us Jesus, it is a Jesus who is a lawgiver to help us through this life. Such a pity!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said…

    Hoo boy. A pastor with 50 years of wisdom wrote that? Wish I was there so we could have studied the architecture together Barb!

    I'm almost afraid to ask -- was the chaplain there?

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Elephantschild said…

    Ditty is a good word to use. Sad to say, what you've shared is far from the worse I've seen. At least there were several *different* verses. I've been at services where the "liturgy" was replaced with Praise choruses - 11 words sang 3 times, with the word "I" making up 25 percent of the word count. Sigh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home