Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

First Fruits

This post should really be called first veggies! We planted no fruits in our garden but we did plant some vegetables. The spinach and most of the carrots we lost to the animals who come to call in our yard. We then sprayed what was left of the garden to deter the deer and bunnies from eating our bounty. Today I took about 10 steps out my front door and looked carefully. The green beans were definitely ready for the picking!







I picked enough beans for supper and brought them inside to wash and get ready for eating. We had a delicious meal thanks to a manager's special on Delmonico steaks at our neighborhood Giant Eagle. I also had a few award winning turnips left from my visit to Polly. I cooked the turnips with some cloves of garlic and potatoes. Mashed them together and they were yummy.


Carrying the garlic theme through to completion, I cooked the beans and topped them with garlic sauted in olive oil. And yes, the steaks were seasoned with garlic and herb before grilling!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    The beans look beautiful!

    I've never had turnips and potatoes mashed together. We'll have to try that.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    Looks good! This is the way I fix a mess of fresh green beans, learned of course from my mother. In the pot put green beans, water to cover, chopped onion and chopped bacon (raw). Bring to a boil and simmer for at least a half a day (mom prefers all day). Yum yum yum! Excuse me, I need to go fix some right now, I'm hungry. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home