Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Camera Dump

My camera had some photos which were hanging on waiting for a blog post and this is it! I was struck by how much this reminded me of Europe although it's smack dab in the middle of the city of Parma OH. Most European immigrants who settled in the Cleveland area in the late 40's and early 50's took up residence in the city of Cleveland. Many, after they established themselves, carefully saved to purchase a double (up and down or side by side)house in the suburb directly south of the city. In Parma, you will find beautiful ethnic churches throughout the city. In the background of this picture you see the gold domes of St Jehosaphat. There is a lovely mosaic on the front of the building which I will post sometime. My husband and I were lunching at the tavern next door and were so struck by the contrast of bar/church/clouds.


On my recent trip to Sussex I had the opportunity to snap this delightful picture of 3 generations of Uffelmans although none go by that name now! To the left is Sandy and then her daughter Naomi in the background and to the right is the granddaughter that Sandy and I share, Saranita. This was taken in June and we would not be able to take this picture today because Saranita is now crawling and why sit and pose when there is exploration to be done!!

This picture was also taken on the way home from our trip to Sussex WI. It is at a rest stop on the Ohio Turnpike. I can not even begin to imagine how tired these motorcyclists were that they were able to sleep out in the open, in this position, while people streamed past as they entered the rest stop.

Here is the final picture taken after we got back home. Here the lovely Miss Saranita is surrounded by Mrs. Kavouras on her right and another Mrs. Kavouras on her left : )

1 Comments:

  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said…

    "When you hear your out-of-town friends brag about their European vacations, you think, 'I can go to any local church and see all the foreigners I want.'" :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home