Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

National Ice Cream Day

Passing on Family Traditions


Who knew?

Certainly not I! My daughter-in-law Naomi called me to tell me that today was National Ice Cream Day. I hadn't a clue but it's a day I'll never pass up in ignorance again!

I come from a long line of ice cream lovers. Some of my earliest memories of my dad involve going for a long ride in the country to some custard stand that he discovered. The four of us would troop out of the car and enjoy delicious custard. I also remember ice cream being of medicinal value growing up. Sore throat? A pepsi-float will cure that!

Another memory I have of ice cream and my dad happened when we were living in St Louis and my husband was attending the Seminary. My brother, Tom, was also at the Sem and my dad and step-mom were visiting us. We went to a mall which just happened to have a Baskin-Robbins store. We had different places to visit in the mall so we agreed to meet back at a certain time at BR and have ice cream. My husband and I got back early and lo and behold, we found my father trying to wipe the evidence off of his face -- he tried to sneak in an extra cone before we all got there. We roared over that one.

Nick called later and asked if I had gone for ice cream yet. "No, I answered, because your dad is installing a new bedroom ceiling fan". He informed me that they were on their way over and we could walk to the corner ice cream store which is a little less than a mile away. We just happened to park across the street from my other son so those grandchildren joined us on our ice cream adventure. And my friend just happened to join us then so she and her daughter got on board the ice cream train. Needless to say, a delicious time was had by all.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Barb,
    We just heard about this national holiday, too. My daughter heard about it at the nursing home. She told us and we went out for ice cream with my father-in-law. It ws delicious! We love the frozen treat around here...and most of the time, if the kids find a reason to celebrate, we always have some on hand to share. Cute photo!

    Laura

     

Post a Comment

<< Home