Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

More Sweetness

We recently went strawberry picking being inspired by Mumme Mom! It has been many, many years since I've gone strawberry picking. So long ago that my oldest son was a toddler. Equipped with the willing hands of 2 granddaughters and my Sister-in-law Crina, I sallied forth. We originally intended going picking with a homeschool friend but that field was no longer available for u-pick. Blessedly, we located a nearby farm and off we went.


The workers........Lily




Marina


Crina



Since my knee surgery, I am not able to kneel so all my picking was done bending over from the waist. This is not the way to pick strawberries! That was the message that my back leg muscles told me for an entire week after picking! The girls enjoyed themselves and it was a perfect day. After several days in the 90's, our day was pleasant and we were so glad that it was overcast! I enjoyed talking and working with my sister-in-law Crina who grew up in Romania during the communist regime. It was interesting hearing the different foods they made and preserved. From her account, I guess Romania is populated by many plum trees : ) After awhile, Crina learned a new English saying "I am all strawberried out."

We rode back to where the car was parked on a flat bed wagon pulled by a tractor. Needless to say, the giggle girls were delighted.




THE PRODUCT

We did make many containers of strawberry freezer jam, some with sugar and some with an artificial sweetner. We froze some strawberries in syrup in small containers to be enjoyed in the winter over ice cream. We also included some strawberries prepared for Mumme Mom's salad. My daughter in law Naomi was not able to pick with us but she did come help us clean, slice and cook the bounty.






THE REWARD!!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Melynda said…

    I was flipping between Glenda's blog and yours drooling when Jason walked in and asked when I was planning on making jam.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    Looks delicious! You know what helps with all that soreness from picking? (Mine was in the rear from all the kneeling/leaning.) Either eating a strawberry pie, or making some fresh daiquiris!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home