Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Little Greek, a Little German

In our house the meals are varied. Some nights we eat at one restaurant and other nights we eat at a different restaurant. And then sometimes, I cook. Tonight we had a little bit of Greek and a little bit of German cooked at home.


This side dish of spinach & feta is very easy and I invite you to try it. I cooked frozen chopped spinach in the microwave and drained it well. I moistened it then with olive oil and lemon juice, seasoned it with salt and topped it off with crumbled feta cheese. This is one delicious healthy green vegetable!

These potatoes are called Grandpa's Potatoes and they are named after my father. He would grill these potatoes in foil pouches when he had his children and grandchildren over for a cookout. You can put them in foil packets and put them on the grill or in the oven. Tonight I fried them on top of the stove. I diced potatoes, chopped onions, added salt, pepper and garlic powder and then added the magic ingredient (pictured below) and cooked it all in olive oil. Oh my was this good!






My husband's father warned him that if he married a German, all he would be eating was meat and potatoes. Well, he did get the meat (we grilled western ribs) and potatoes tonight but that was NOT all. He also got Greek style spinach. Maybe we should open Zorba's Schnitzel House or Hulda's Grecian Delight. Whaddya think?

5 Comments:

  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    The magic ingredient? Is that what's pictured in the bottle from McCormicks?

     
  • At 6:17 AM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    Yes, Susan, the magic ingredient in the potatoes is McCormick's Salad Seasoning. I fixed the post to relect that. Thanks.

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Glenda said…

    Yum! Did you have peaches for dessert? ;-) Our favorite potatoes are cooked on the grill. We dice the potatoes, add chopped bacon (raw), chopped onion, salt, pepper, and parsley, put in a foil pack and grill to perfection! Now, I'm hungry. :-)

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Do you really go out to eat often??? I can only dream of the day...right now it is a national debt to take us all out! Your meal looks delicious...I'll have to try it when I begin cooking again...I don't know how we live through summer. : )

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Barb, enjoyed your spinach and feta cheese veggie dish....also have been thinking back to your trip to Milwaukee. Puzzled for a long time how you (Pastor) was going to avoid the trip around your beloved town of Chicago...big grin...did not think about airplanes. Glad you had a good trip.....Suzanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home