Pistol Packin' Presbytera

Presbytera, in the Greek culture, is the wife of the Father, or parish priest.

Monday, October 16, 2006

One Night With the King

Last night Chaplain to the World and I went to see a movie. We have had free tickets for 3 years and have never had an opportunity to use them. 3 years ago while I was recovering from surgery, Luther the Movie had just come out and we were eager to see it. It was one of my first outings and I was still using the walker. It was a matinee and we went to the top of the theatre so that I could prop my legs up and not be knocked by anyone. About 7/8's of the way through the movie, the fire alarm went off and we were evacuated from the building....with the walker it was none too quickly. We never saw or smelled smoke but we did not return to the theatre. The manager was handing out "emergency tickets" which were good for any time, any movie. The tickets have been sitting on my husband's desk taunting him with "take your wife to the movies, take her, take her now". Yesterday was the day he finally heeded the call.

We saw previews for a film about the Biblical Esther and it looked like a good movie to view. We both knew the story and it appeared that it would be like the old time Biblical movies with the wonderful scenery, great costumes and close to the narrative story. We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie

One Night With the King features a beautiful Esther. King Xerxes is played by Luke Goss and I didn't like him in the beginning of the movie but he definitely grew on me as his character was "fleshed out" so to speak : ) Omar Shariff was his trusted aide, Prince Memucan. He was good but I kept waiting for him to say "Fannie" and pursue that Funny Girl. Peter O'Toole briefly appeared as the prophet Samuel and was intimidating (as usual). The best acting goes to James Callis as Hamann. He was evil and made my skin crawl. I never saw Battlestar Galatica so I was unfamilar with his work. Go see the film. My only criticism was that I missed some of the dialogue because the background music wasn't in the background enough!

There were several direct quotes from the Bible...some even from the New Testament!! The story was believable and based on the book Hadassah. I think someone should clue them that the credits should indicate it was based on the Old Testament book Esther, unless that is what they meant by the book Hadassah. Although it is a love story, there are no steamy scenes. Take your children!

Esther has always been a favorite name of mine. If Theo or Nick had been a girl, I would have named my daughter Esther. Here is a picture of me and my mom from May of 1964. Her name was Esther.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Marie N. said…

    Sounds like you had a great time. Any other movies you are interested in seeing?

    I have Funny Girl -- its a keeper!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Presbytera said…

    I would like to see the movie with Robin Williams called The Man of the Year. I think he is really funny although sometimes his humor can get a little raunchy. I also wanted to see The Guardian although that might be just as good on my TV screen. Pastor was intrigued by The Illustionist so we may splurge and see that also. We carry earplugs in the car so we are ready to protect ourselves from the volume of the sound system.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger ~Kathy~ said…

    I'll have to see about watching that movie. Sounds good!

    I LOVE your confirmation picture! I just HAVE to do this though, I was BORN in July of 1964. LOL! Great year, wasn't it?

    BTW, you and your mom look wonderful!

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger ~Kathy~ said…

    We'll have to see that movie, it sounds good.

    I love your Confirmation picture. Although, I just HAVE to tell you this. I was BORN in July 1964. LOL! It was a great year, wasn't it?

    BTW, you and your mom look wonderful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home